Sunday, October 20, 2013

Obligation and Desire

Good News!

I've been keeping up with reading my Bible every night before I go to bed. I haven't missed a day for about two months. This is a BIG deal! I am happy and learning lots.

But there is always bad news to go along with good news it seems. I have this issue, and it doesn't even seem like a big issue, just something I wish was different in my attitude towards reading. There are times I go to bed around 2am and I just don't feel like reading, times I would rather just go to sleep instead of taking the time to read God's word and let Him show me his will. I force my self to read anyways. Which is better then not reading I guess.



I wish that I always had the desire to read. I wish it  was some thing I wanted to do every night, something I wouldn't even consider to skip out on. Something I looked forward all day. Why is it that we struggle so hard with this. Shouldn't it be easy to read what the creator of the entire universe has written to us? Isn't that something that should take the most important place in our lives?

I feel that I am obligated to. I have to because it is the right thing. I'm not saying this is wrong, just something I am trying to work on. I want to get to a point in my life where this is something I can't live with out. Where I thirst to find out what God wants to tell me. Instead of this need to force myself to read his word.



I guess this is something that is common in lots of aspects of our Christian lives. Going to church being at the top of the list as well, shouldn't we want to be there? Is there anywhere else that we find better? There shouldn't be. Why would we not want to be where the Christians are? I know I have struggle with this. Yes, I go to church every Sunday, haven't missed one in a long time. That doesn't mean that is where I want to be. I feel Obligated to go because my parents want me to go or because I know that is what I am supposed to do as a Christian. I want my attitude towards it to change. I want to desire to go to Church because there is nothing better to do on a Sunday or Wednesday night.

I'm sure there are many other areas in our Christian lives that we struggle with this same thing, Desire or Obligation. Think about it. Pray for me!

Nolan Out!