Friday, August 6, 2010

Cottage Fever?

Ahh Holidays, they come and go so fast.. Tommorow I head home and should be arriving around 9:00 or 10:00 P.M. I absolutely cannot wait to go back to camp, like there are billions of excited monkeys jumping around inside my stomach! Starting Sunday is Hockey Camp! I get to work kitchen which means a lot of free time to really rest and get back into the regular sleeping pattern.

Anyway this Holiday I visited my cousins cottage and while we were sitting there with nothing to do I remembered the many good times in Jesse Fontaine's sauna. I suggested to my cousins that we go to the island in the middle of the lake and build a sauna.

How to Build a Homemade Sauna

Supplies:

  • Multiple Tarps (or one large one)
  • Barbecue Grills
  • Supports/ Sticks
  • Shovels
  • Camfire
  • Rocks

Step 1: Dig a hole about 1-2 feet deep

Step 2: Built at least a 1 foot high wall around and add wooden supports with one large support in the middle and all supported with rocks.

Step 3: Drape tarps over support cover all excess holes with more tarps, garbage bags, or if desperate spruce or pine tree bows covered with sand.

To Operate

To operate the sauna heat the rocks at least 1-2 hours before use. Make sure the fire is close but not INSIDE or too close to the tarps. When the rocks are heated gradually move them inside the Sauna. Then pour water on them to create the steam!

Here's a picture of the inside which could seat up to 6 or more people.